No one likes to be bitten by an insect. Bees, yellow jackets, fire ants, spiders all cause a discomfort. But there are people among us that an insect bites might cause a life threatening situation.
A normal reaction to a bite will be redness in the bite area, some swelling of the affected area and pain.
The more sever reaction can be swelling that extends beyond the bite area. While it looks frightening it is usually not much worse than a normal reaction.
An allergy to sting and bites will manifest itself in a more serious way; difficulty in breathing, hives that appear on the skin, swelling of the throat and face, rapid pulse, dizziness and a sharp drop in blood pressure.
The bigger problem is that it can lead to a shock, unconsciousness and cardiac arrest. All that in the span of no more than 10 minutes. And the next time they are bitten or stung the reaction might appear much quicker.
The way to treat an allergic reaction to a sting or a bite is my injecting adrenaline into the blood stream. In most cases the injection will prevent the symptoms from getting worse.
Those who are highly allergic need to carry a syringe with them at all times because you never know when you might get bitten and how long it would take to get medical attention. In some cases I.V fluids have to be administered and oxygen given to help the patient regain the levels of oxygen reduced by the constrictions of the lungs. In some cases one injection is not enough, so a person who is known to have sting allergy has to be rushed to a hospital for continuous treatment.
To avoid this unwanted consequence people have to recognized to what they are allergic and try to avoid activities in an infected area. When going outdoors, they need to protect themselves with long sleeves, long pants and closed toe shoes, avoid wearing perfume that might attract insects, never go hiking alone or engage in any other sport while unaccompanied. Most important – protect their living environment with screen on doors and windows, and apply insect repellent (such as Deet).
Allergic reaction to insect bites can be prevented with a monthly shot. They are very affective, up to 97% of the cases will avoid allergic reaction if given the shot, and by increasing the dosage gradually it might stimulate the immune system to become resistant to future allergic reactions.